Xegony Bard

Home of the Insane Bard
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Lock picking
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:32 am 
Speed: Bard Speed
Speed:  Bard Speed

I over heard several people discussing different stratigies on lockpicking. I cane accrost a couple articles that I thought you guys might find helpful.

HiredKiller's Dummies Guide to Lockpicking
By: HiredKiller, Posted at: Fri, Dec 24th 1:16 PM 2004, Last Edited: Tue, Jun 6th 11:39 PM 2006
Rated 3.23 by 34 people

Step 1 : Do the Rogue "Polly" quest

This entails feeding a parrot a cracker close to ratchet, then unlocking the chests on the boat. You want to do this until the chests are grey to you, and ya, its going to take a while.

Step 2 : Poison Quest

Little known trick, while doing this quest in the NW barrens in the Venture Co. area is a chest at the top of a tower... Repeat what you did in Step 1. Open that chest until it goes grey... That'll help get you passed or up to 175

Step 3 : Scarlet Monestary (see step 4 if to hard)

You can first start with unlocking the door into the instances, if you find you are too low to start on the door because you are too lazy, jump into the first instance and pickpocket everything in there. This is of course, making sure you have your stealth maxed to avoid detection. You can repeat that as many times as needed, but if you followed step 1 and 2, the door will get you above 200.

Step 4 : Stranglethorn

IF you are still having a hard time, or skipped step 2 and 3, there are Trolls to the Northwest of Grom' Gol. Pickpocket and lockpick them until your heart is content. Although SM is more effective cause of the respawn, it is better then getting pummled by elite's.

Step 5 : Gadgetzen/Ferales/Badlands

You should by now have about 200-225 skill. Any of these 3 places have Ogres... Gadgetzen - South of Gadget, is a cave with a bunch. Ferales, South of the camp (can't remember the name) has a bunch, Badlands orcs to the SW cave, SW of the Orc encampment. ** This is about the time where people need you because you can start doing reinforced steel, steel and such. So when you are in Ogrimmar, or what ever main town you are in, send you tells to open boxes for free at a certain location. Make sure they actually HAND you the item, as just doing it in the trade screen results in no skill ups. More people you do it for, the more they refer you and eaiser it is to get that skill up...

{{Jarroll Edit: I am pretty sure you can get skill ups from the do not trade window. It was changed several patches ago}}

Step 6 : Final LP

Blackrock Deep/Blackrock Stepps 250+, you will pickpocket the rest of the way here, by this time you can open pretty much any of the lockboxes that people get in drops, ie. mithril, Thor... Till you hit 275, you won't be able to do the Large Locked chests, but if you are pickpocketing alot you skill up each time after you get the "strong junkbox". It only took about 2 hours once I hit 250 to get to 300. Getting passed 175 sucked, but I didn't know about the poison quest trick until a friend mentioned it...

There... Congrats LP 300!

Pick footlockers until 300...

Hillsbrad Foothills - Durnholde Keep(50-145)
Ashenvale Forest - Zoram Strand(?-?) 75ish to
Redridge Mountains - Lake Everstill(?-?)
Stonetalon Mountains - Windshear Crag(?-?)
Wetlands - Murloc Camps(?-175) (there's two sets of boxes there - when you first visit one group will be green and the other red)
Desolace - Sar'theris Strand(160-200)
Badlands - Angor Fortress-Upstairs(175-?) Downstairs(200-?)
Swamp of Sorrows - Pool of Tears(175-225)
Searing Gorge - The Slag Pit(200-275)
Tanaris Desert - Lost Rigger Cove(225-285)
Azshara - Bay of Storms (275-300)
Eastern Plaguelands - Tyr's Hand(275-300)

http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?572984

Mertcha 85 Paladin
Macdari 70 Warrior
Mersham 66 Shaman
Madari 71 Hunter
I got my account back!! but
Still trying to catch up with Dale /sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:26 pm 

Yeah, getting your Lockpicking up can be a pain in the hiney. At least they give a few more options to do it, nowadays.

I do believe the list is missing the Angor Fortress. Did they remove all those lockers from there? I distinctly remember finding that and going from 200 to 225 in the space of about an hour, while my rogue and my wife's druid killed everything inside ad naseum. It was pretty nice XP, and I was skilling up like a champ. The boxes go from 175 to maybe 252 tops. If you take a partner that can heal you, you can stay there for a few hours and really advance your skill without any real difficulties. I think we kept the upper level with the one tough mob clear for more than an hour, with the spawns perfectly timed.

Wow, I actually saw my old post about it on the rogue forums. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:59 pm 
Insane Bard
Insane Bard

I moved this to the library section so it doesn't get lost. Good info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:05 pm 

Don't forget the gates to Searing Gorge. I think they start at either 225 or 250. I can't remember, it's been so long...

But, you can pick each one about once every 30 minutes. Searing Gorge can be fun at times, and if you are bored waiting for a pickup group or a BG, just pop over there and hit both locks, then go back. Sure, it takes a while, but you won't have to fight a single mob if you don't want to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:20 am 
Speed: Run 2
Speed:  Run 2

Good to know as well that the large locked chests are 275 skill... which means I was only 2 points shy of opening them the other night... DOH! Back to pickpocketing and Eastern Plaguelands.