from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 6952&sid=1
This guide covers all the basics on Inscription and also includes a 1-350 leveling guide as well. I leveled 2 characters from 1-365 on (10/12/08), 1 day before 3.0.2 release. All the info here should be accurate and I'll be leveling from 1-365 again when then 3.0.2 is released, I'll be updating this post with any changes in the Live 3.0.2 patch. Forums aren't the most forgiving when it comes to formatting, an easier to read version of this guide can always be found at:http://www.wrathguide.com/profession/inscription
Introduction to Inscription
The Inscription profession is a new and unique profession to Warcraft. The main product of Inscription are Glyphs which enhance existing spells in the game similarly to how talents do, however you'll see below that Inscription provides a good deal more. This profession is best paired with Herbalism since almost all recipies will utilize herbs as reagents.
Products of Inscription
* Glyphs - Example: Glyph of Power Word: Shield (Your Power Word: Shield also heals the target for 20% of the absorption amount), Glyph of the Penguin (Your Polymorph: Sheep spell polymorphs the target into a penguin instead)
* Scrolls - Examples: Scroll of Stamina VI (Increases the target's Stamina by 43 for 30 min)
* Utility Consumables - Examples: Scroll of Recall II (Returns you to <Home>. Results are unpredictable beyond level 70. 20 Min Cooldown), Certificate of Ownership (Allows you to rename your pet. 7 Days Cooldown), Armor Velum III (allows Enchanters to create tradeable enchants)
* Tarot Cards - Low level versions of Darkmoon Faire cards
* Darkmoon Cards - Ability to create random Darkmoon Cards
Inscription only Benefits
Craftable Offhand Items - Full list here: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?items=4.-5&fi ... s=11;crv=0
Master Inscriptions - These are shoulder enchantments. Examples: Master's Inscription of the Axe (Permanently adds 104 attack power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor), Master's Inscription of the Storm (Permanently adds 61 spell power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor.)
Every character (including those without Inscription), have a Glyph Spell Pane in their spellbook. Each character can have a maximum of 3 Major Glyphs and 3 Minor Glyphs. Major Glyphs give significant upgrades and are on par with good talents. Minor Glyphs can be cosmetic in nature or give increased duration or mana cost reduction to spell abilities. Additionally, you can only apply Glyphs at a Lexicon of Power which are found next to Inscription Trainers. Replacing existing Glyphs will destroy them, fortunately most Glyphs are inexpensive to create. The 6 Glyph slots are unlocked as you progress in level:
* Level 15 - 1 Major Glyph and 1 Minor Glyph unlocked
* Level 30 - 1 additional Major Glyph unlocked
* Level 50 - 1 additional Minor Glyph unlocked
* Level 70 - 1 additional Minor Glyph unlocked
* Level 80 - 1 additional Major Glyph unlocked
Major Glyphs are learned from trainers while Minor Glyphs are learned only by discovery. When you reach 75 skill, you can learn Minor Inscription Research which lets you discover a random Minor Glyph. For the WotLK expansion, at 385 skill you can learn Northrend Inscription Research that will allow you to discover new Major Glyphs. Both these discovery processes have a cooldown of 20 hours for discovering new Glyphs.
Glyphs are produced by first Milling herbs into Pigments. The Pigments are then used to create Inks. Finally using Inks and Parchments (purchasable by Inscription Suppliers) you create Glyphs. The Milling ability is learned automatically when you learn Inscription. This ability will never give a skillup and each herb requires different skill levels to mill. Milling will produce 2-4 pigments. Rarer herbs in the same group class will produce 2-4 pigments and more common herbs will produce 2-3 pigments. There is also a 15-25% chance that you will produce an uncommon pigment in addition to the 2-4 regular pigments.
You will also need to purchase a Virtuoso Inking Set as well as the various Parchments from Inscription Suppliers. You will find a supplier next to every trainer.
Inscription Trainer Locations
* Alliance - Elise Brightletter (60,44) - Ironforge
* Alliance - Catarina Stanford (49,74) - Stormwind City
* Alliance - Feyden Darkin (58,15) - Darnassus
* Alliance - Thoth (39,38) - The Exodar
* Horde - Jo'mah (56,46) - Orgrimmar
* Horde - Margaux Parchley (61,57) - Undercity
* Horde - Poshken Hardbinder (28,20) - Thunder Bluff
* Horde - Zantasia (28,20) - Silvermoon City
* Alliance - Michael Schwan (53,65) - Honor Hold, Hellfire Peninsula
* Horde - Neferatti (52,36) - Thrallmar, Hellfire Penninsula