Xegony Bard

Home of the Insane Bard
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: 2012 Recap_14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:26 am 
Speed: Bard Speed
Speed:  Bard Speed

Wednesday... Mom came home from the hospital from her knee replacement. She's doing okay; medium pain and very tired.

Friday... Found a geocache on my way out of work. Stopped at Home Depot to pick up a plastic garden cart; was one of three left. Picked Dad up from Dialysis. Didn't get home til after 9:30.

Friday into Saturday... very bad night with stomach issues all night. I left the house before m'Lady did so I could get my car inspected. Prayed the whole way that the "Check Engine" light would behave for the time when an inspection rep was in the car. Thankfully it did. Passed! Stopped for a breakfast sandwich on the way home and would have gone back out for various errands but ended up stuck at home with stomach issues. So I started the laundry. Took a nap from 5-ish to nearly 7 when m'Lady woke me up when she got home. Helped her with the groceries, finished the laundry while she made dinner (salmon burgers, they were fantastic) then we watched "The Help" before bed.

Sunday... woke with a migraine, and even though I took my pills it didn't go away til nearly noon. Ran out to Lowes to swap some "oops I picked up the wrong thing" staples for my staple gun, then got home and repaired the hole the chipmunks are using to get into the house. Well, more like haphazardly patched/covered. Afterwards, started cooking dinner - stuffed peppers and mushroom soup. Started reading a book and destroyed it within a few hours. Moved some of the now-not-stinky boxes of books from the garage into the office. Lamented the state of having 800+ channels of cable and there not being a damn thing on. M'Lady came home, had dinner, watched the original Fast and the Furious and went to bed.

Gaming-wise, I've been putting a few minutes here and there into Dwarf Fortress, still doing my semi-daily Forza laps, picked up "Star Ocean: Last Hope" and have clocked 3 playtime hours in 2 weeks, oh and I logged into STO for 5 minutes!

Post subject: Re: 2012 Recap_14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:44 am 

Friday - grocery shopping, picked up some shrimp and a few fresh veges and and made a great dinner... fried shrimp, sweet potato medley (sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, green pepper, onions, squash all largely chopped, placed on a roasting pan, drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and roasted for 35 minutes at 375)... mmm, good.

Saturday - took the kids to an Easter Egg hunt at one of the local churches... picked up a friend of Caitlyn's and her sister and took them to see The Lorax, after that, ate at Carrabba's, then took them to blow some money at Dave and Busters, after that fiasco, off to Baskin and Robbins for some ice cream... a full day of fun with 4 kids... never again will I take that many to D&B's.

Sunday - church, after church headed down to a local place to try the burger... we're still feeling out Cincinnati... doing a lot of "best of this and best of that" searches in Bing, Yahoo etc... well, Zips Cafe topped one search, so we went tried it... it was ok... I would say slightly better than Five Guy's, but not as good as Moonies or Mighty Fine. The burger itself was good, the problem was the bun and size... store bought bun, and size was too small... the fries we also frozen fries and not homemade...

came home, took a nap, got up and made some of my chili... when ever I make chili up here, I always want to make a large batch and take it down to either Skyline or Gold Star and hand out free bowls and show these yankees what real chili is... not that crap that everyone is gaga for up here... its really sad... they take all the raw ingredients, throw them in to a pot of water and bowl it for 3 hours... walla, Cincinnati Chili...

Gaming front... I don't usually play much on the weekends... I think I played a total of about an hour of SWToR on Sunday afternoon... went to gamestop to see if anything interested me... no, nothing did... I noticed they have a pre-order advert for NCAA 13... with it, you get a 3-pack of Heisman trophy winners downloadable content that includes Tim Tebow, Mark Ingram and Matt Leinart... I went to the desk and told them that the only way they could have 3 worse choices for that 3 pack would be if they took out Mark Ingram and added Eric Crouch...

Classes start today... now that its here, I really don't want to do this... but I will... I have to, and I hate it! My life still sucks! Just an update.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 am 
Insane Bard
Insane Bard

Funny, that is how Mandy makes "chili" too.

Saturday the floor got patched where we took out the half-wall. All in it looks pretty spiffy and the extra space in the living room is going to be very nice. Saturday afternoon Mandy went out with her mom until evening and I was on kiddo duty. She didn't really nap at all, so it was a fun filled afternoon of her crawling to the stairs and then me getting her and moving her back into the living room (then repeat X 5 hours or so).

Sunday I got some gaming time in. I blew through some rest xp on alts and did Darkmoon stuff on Jarroll.

I also picked up Trine 2 this weekend on the Steam sale. The first one was good and this one appears in the same vein. It also has multiplayer which I haven't tried yet. My co-worker buddy will probably come over sometime and we'll run through those parts.

Teaching on Saturdays starts up not this weekend but next.

Where is this year going in such a hurry?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am 

J needs to post his chili recipe :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 am 

Yeah, just don't get how they can call that chili but oh well.

Got everything moved, mostly unpacked. Went to the store and spent way too much restocking - STILL couldn't find a decent brisket though :(

Played a bit of SWTOR but mostly did Civ V between unpacking sessions.

Some people preach love and respect. Me? I just hit you with my giant hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:40 pm 

There are 3 types of chili I make... recipes follow:

Chili Soup
2 lbs ground beef
2 cans chili beans
1 can refried beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
4 table spoons of chili powder
1 table spoon of garlic powder
1 table spoon of paprika
cayenne or red pepper to add heat to taste, however much you think you want, you can also add a few sliced jalapenos as well.

In pot, empty all cans and spices. For each can of beans, empty can, then fill it water and empty that in to the pot.
Brown the ground beef, drain and put in pot.
Saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic and put in pot.
Let simmer for about an hour and eat.

Capital Punishment Chili (Texas Chili)
2 large onions finely chopped
4 lbs ground chuck or round
1 lbs of some other meat (chuck steak, round steak, flank steak etc) 1/4 inch cubed
2 lbs pork (loin, boston butt etc, just needs to be fairly lean) 1/4 inch cubed
1 lbs Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
6oz can tomato paste
8 to 10 garlic cloves
optional: 1 to 2 table spoons ground chili peppers
2 10 and half oz cans beef bouillon (broth)
2 12oz can of beer
7 heaping table spoons of chili powder
4 table spoon ground cumin
1 table spoon oregano
2 table spoon paprika
1 table spoon sugar
1 table spoon flour (for thickening at the end)

Brown meat in skillet until fat is cooked off and transfer to stock pot. Saute onions and garlic in remaining pan drippings until tender, then add to meat and mix well. Add all spices and liquids. Mix well and simmer for 2 hours. Mix flour and enough hot water to make a light paste. Add to chili and simmer for another 30 minutes before serving to allow for thickening.

J's Thrown together with no chili recipe - Chili
4 large onions finely chopped
2 green bell peppers finely chopped
1 red bell pepper finely chopped
2 jalapenos finely chopped
2 lbs chili meat (rough ground beef)
1 lbs ground chuck
1 lbs Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1 lbs pork sirloin 1/4 cubed
3 cans of beer
1 can beef broth
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste
6 table spoons chili powder
1 table spoon red hot chili powder
2 table spoons garlic powder
2 table spoons onion powder
2 table spoons sugar
2 table spoons ground cumin
1 table spoon ground coriander

Brown all meat, in to pot. Add spices. Saute the onions, peppers and garlic. In to pot. Add all liquids and simmer for 2 hours. Thicken with flour (add water to make a paste) if desired about 20 minutes before serving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm 

The last one is close to what I make (though less spicy). M'Lady doesn't like beans so the peppers make good filler.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

we eat a lot of spicy in this house... I cook a lot of curries, spicy chili, hot links, hell even the fried chicken is spicy... not that we eat a lot of fried chicken because that would be bad and my doctor would give me the evil eye etc... hehe...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:28 am 

Smoked some chicken and a brisket. The brisket, despite being trimmed, came out pretty good.

Played some SWTOR, got the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler through Chapter 1. Decided to focus on the smuggler to 50 so I have another Operation option since Baelan is in full Columi right now. May work the Bounty Hunter up, we don't have the folks in the guild but I have friends who are asking me to raid so we will see.

Some people preach love and respect. Me? I just hit you with my giant hammer.